Google’s Penguin 2.0 was arguably one of the most significant search engine algorithm changes to hit since Panda in 2012. It went into effect on May 22, 2013. Google has always claimed that it makes over 500 changes per year to it’s search algorithm; most of which we never hear about. But Penguin 2.0 is different. It has in many ways forever changed the way people think about SEO and Link Building.
Here’s a top 10 Content Checklist before Publishing:
1. Vary Anchor Text – Don’t use the same keywords to use as anchor text. Use different related words as keywords. 2. Avoid using Exact Match Anchor Text – Avoid using the ‘Exact Match’ keyword as an anchor text to allow variations of the anchor text to show up in search too. 3. Use Branded Anchor Text – Use your Company’s name, Website Address as Anchor Text. 4. Cite Authority Sites – Cite Sites that have a higher Google Page Rank as well as a higher Moz Domain Authority Rank and give credit to original content creator. 5. Use good Grammar/ Spelling – Use good language Grammar and Spell check your content before publishing. [ninja-inline id=1558]
6. Claim Authorship – Claim Authorship on Google+ and put a face to your content. This is becoming increasingly important.
7. Produce Quality Content – Content has been and still is the King. Quality Content will help you rank higher in Search Rankings.
8. Promote Content on Social Media – Google has started taking Social Signals into account for its Search Rankings. The more shared, tweeted or commented upon content, the higher it’ll rank.
9. Update Site Regularly – The more often you add content, the more often search engine robots will crawl your site and help you rank higher.
10. Create a Content Marketing Strategy – Create Content with a Plan. Start with an end Goal and work backwards.
[box type] Tell us how your website got affected by Penguin 2.0, what changed and how you recovered.[/box]